I felt in love at the first time with sugarcraft works when I enrolled myself to Cake Decoration and Sugarcraft Course last April. I thought I was not an artistic and talented person to make any cake decoration beautifully and creatively. But I’m wrong, this is not need talent but need a lot of practices to make a beautiful sugarcraft arrangement to put on our cake:p. I was quite pleased with my first Sugarcraft on my cake. It was not a perfect one but it gave me a big smile:D
So, I want to share what we need to make a flower arrangement from Sugar (Basic Blossom)
Here we go!!
Equipment needed :
Flower paste ( I chose a white one )
Cell stick/cocktail stick ( small size )
26/28 gauge wires
Fine pointed scissors
Cornflour ( in clean gauze or nappy liner )
To make a Basic Blossom :
- Cut wires into 4 and a make a small hook at one end.
- Take a piece of flower paste the size of a marrow fat pea and work till soft and pliable.
- Shape into a cone, insert the pointed end of cocktail stick /cell stick into the blunt of cone.
- Gently enlarge the hole, by pushing back and forth with the cocktail stick.
- With a sharp pair of scissors cut 4 equal sections into the paste about 1/4 of the way down the cone.
- Gently open up the petals with your fingers.
- Take each petal in turn and gently squash and pull widening and elongating the petals.
- The cocktail stick can be used to broaden the petals ( dip into corn flour if starting to stick ).
- Insert cocktail stick into the throat of the flower and gently shape the petals to add some life.
- Insert hooked wire which has been dipped into either egg white or gum glue, into the throat of flower, twist and pull down to secure.
- Allow to dry slightly before dusting. The can be used as filler flowers/jasmine/forsythia/Daphne.
- With edible powder colour, we start colouring the flower with paint brush to spread the edible powder.
- Bring to boil vinegar and water, cover the pan with aluminum foil, and make a small hole on it.
- Steam the cloured flower to make its colour stay last.
- Allow to dry in room temperature.
- Flowers ready to arrange.